Do you own a Labrador pup but don’t know what to feed it? Choosing from the hundreds of dog food brands online can be quite a hassle for you. That’s why this article is here to help you look for the best puppy food for labs!
What is the Best Puppy Food for Labradors?
IAMS Proactive Health Smart Puppy Large Breed
This brand of dog food is specifically designed for large breed puppies from 1 to 24 months old. It helps them develop their bones and muscles to fit their build. IAMS Proactive Health does not contain any wheat, soy, or any artificial flavorings that may trigger allergies and other harmful effects on your Labrador puppy.
The number one ingredient in the product is chicken. It is claimed that this brand can help your lab not just enhance their muscles, but also their mind and immune system. The brand consists of corn, wholesome grains, chicken by-products, beet pulp among many. It also contains essential vitamins, antioxidants, and proteins that stimulate puppy growth and health for the best start of your puppy.
IAMS Proactive Health is one of the best puppy food for labs and large breeds on the market at an affordable price! This brand has been engineered to suit the build of Labradors and will be a great choice when looking for quality dog food.
- Improves bowel movement in most dogs.
- Comes in 15-38.5 lb large bags for efficiency.
- Improves your dog’s coat and fun, making it shiny or glossy.
- Some dogs do not like to eat it.
- Sometimes come in torn or improper packaging. Some people stated that it came to them in ripped packaging.
- Contains debatable dog food ingredients. The brand contains corn and chicken by-products. These ingredients are still a hot debate because some believe they are nutritious, but some also believe that they are just filler at best and harmful to your dog at worse.
Pro Plan Focus-Puppy Large-Breed Chicken and Rice Formula
Purina’s large breed dog food contains Chicken and Rice as the main ingredients. Aside from this, the feed has DHA from fish oils that are omega-rich to nourish your lab’s brain and sight. The brand also has many antioxidants that support your dog’s immune system. These ingredients and minerals will help your lab start good.
The feed is designed for breeds that will weigh over 50 lbs at maturity. It will help them support their bones and strengthen their muscles and will make them strong and healthy. It also contains phosphorus, calcium, and other essential minerals that will make your lab’s teeth and bones grow strong and healthy. The brand is a premium quality dog food that will surely satisfy your Labrador’s needs.
Here are the Pros and Cons to such a premium quality dog food:
- The feed meets the WSAVA guidelines for looking for a portion of proper dog food.
- Highly digestible and will improve your lab’s stool and bowel movements.
- Contains glucosamine which can help joint growth and development in growing puppies.
- Contains controversial ingredients. This brand contains Wheat and Corn which are questionably healthy. Wheat contains a protein called Gluten which can cause allergies to dogs. Corn on the other is said to be simply a filler. For these reasons, dog owners should be careful especially if your dog is sickly or sensitive to food, as it may very well be harmful to them.
Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy (Lamb, Rice, and Vegetable Formula)
Similarly to the products mentioned above, Diamond Naturals Large Breed Dog Food is specifically designed for large breed puppies. The brand contains quality ingredients that consist of protein, antioxidants and vital minerals and vitamins that will help your Labrador enter its adulthood with vigor and a healthy body.
Differently, from the previous products, the number one ingredient for this product is lamb instead of chicken. The product meets the nutritional levels set up by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages. The high amount of protein ensures that your Labrador pup will grow strong and healthy into its adulthood.
- Does not contain any controversial or harmful ingredients for dogs like wheat, soy, or corn that can cause allergies or other complications to your dogs. It also does not contain any artificial flavors or coloring that can harm your lab pup.
- The product is really affordable compared to other premium quality dog food.
- Available in 3 sizes or weights; 6 pounds, 20 pounds, and 40 pounds.
- The product gets its protein from animal-based products which are much more suitable for dogs and will help them grow into fine and strong adults.
- The new recipe, which added pea flour and yeast is not so easily liked by dogs, unlike the previous recipes.
Nutro Large-Breed Puppy Recipe Farm-Raised Chicken
Made only from farm-raised chicken, this product has no artificial flavors or nutrients. It also does not contain any preservatives that might harm your dog. The product is full of protein and fiber-rich nutrients derived from vegetables and chicken that will help your Labrador puppy grow into a happy and healthy adult.
The product does not contain any soy, wheat, or corn that can harm your dog through allergies and any other complications. Derived from the best ingredients, Nutro gives your dog only the best dog food for labs and other large breeds. You can look at the ingredients list and have a peace of mind that it is healthy for your dog.
Nutro’s Large Breed Puppy Recipe is a premium but affordable dog food for your Labrador puppy. It is one of the best and most recommended products in the market, truly deserving to be a part of this list.
- All-natural. This product is created only from the most natural sources and contains no artificial coloring or flavorings.
- Affordable. The product’s quality is much greater than what it is offered for, making it a great and affordable dog food.
- Some customers reported that their dogs suffer stomach aches after eating Nutro’s Large Breed Puppy Recipe. Other customers also mentioned that their dogs suffered bad bowel movement.
- Prices fluctuate month by month.
Blue Buffalo Blue Wilderness Grain-Free Dog Food
The last on the list, Blue Buffalo’s Blue Wilderness grain-free dog food is one of the best puppy food for labs in the market. Packed with chicken, this brand offers great amounts of proteins for your steadily developing pup. It is grain-free. It also does not contain any harmful substances like soy, wheat, corn, by-products, or artificial flavors and colors that can harm your dog through allergens or any other complications.
Aside from this, Blue Buffalo has also added ‘Lifesource Bits,’ a healthy mix of vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals that were selected by licensed veterinarians. The dog food stimulates muscle, joint, and bone growth which will help your puppy to reach adulthood strong and healthy.
The product also contains fruits and vegetables that give your puppy a nutrient-rich diet suitable for their growth. This develops not just your dog’s build but also their vision, intelligence, and immune system.
- Healthy and All-natural without any artificial substances that can harm your puppy.
- The ‘Lifesource Bits’ increases the nutritional value of the product and makes it healthier for your pups.
- Highly rated. The product is highly rated and recommended by a myriad of users and sites online.
- All of these benefits come with a hefty price tag. The product is a bit less affordable than previous brands.
Which Dog Food Should you Buy for your Labs?
Between all of the previously mentioned dog food products, it is highly recommended to buy and feed your dogs with Blue Buffalo’s Blue Wilderness grain-free dog food. It may be a bit pricey, but it isn’t much for the proper health and development of your dog. Blue Buffalo creates one of the most astounding and highly rated quality foods. It is the best of the products mentioned above.
The other dog food products mentioned contained controversial and potentially harmful ingredients for your dogs. These ingredients, like corn, soy, and wheat can cause allergies and complications to your dog, especially for a puppy. The best and quality dog food should not contain any of these substances. Blue Buffalo’s products are one of those that do not contain these harmful substances.
Make sure to purchase Blue Buffalo’s Blue Wilderness dog food for your dog, it is ain’t a risky investment as it involves the health, well being, and development of your Labrador puppy. It can definitely be claimed that Blue Buffalo’s Blue Wilderness dog food is the best puppy food for labs. Of course, it’s not just for Labradors! It can be the best puppy food for every dog out there, whether it be small or large, puppy, adult, or senior.
We hope in this guide, we offered you an insight about the best puppy foods for your Labrador.