Are you a dog owner looking for a new way to play? Look no further than remote control dog toys as the better alternative to traditional toys!
They are better than traditional dog toys for a variety of reasons that will be discussed in this piece.
Table of Contents
What is a Remote Control Dog Toy?
Remote Control dog toys are different from typical/traditional dog toys in several key ways.
First of all, rather than running on hand power or any other method, they are run through electric power.
Secondly, they can be either automatic or manually controlled through a remote of some kind. Finally, they often rely on the motion as a key component.
What Makes A Remote Control Dog Toy Worth It?
We all love our pets. But not every toy is worth the amount of money asked for.
What are some ways to tell what remote control dog toys are worth it and which are not?
First of all, a good remote control dog toy should be battery-powered.
Needing to be plugged in leads to being tethered to a very small radius around your house, which is not ideal for the dog’s exercise and movement or the function of the toy.
Secondly, it should be able to be versatile: to provide a unique experience each time it is used.
For example, different speeds, colors, etc. to ensure that a dog doesn’t tire of it at all. It should be able to adapt to the needs of each individual dog.
Finally, it should be intuitive. Dogs won’t understand complex systems, when they want to play, they want to play, and they follow instinct.
A good toy will cater to this reality though obvious mechanisms and rewards.
How Does A Remote Control Toy Help Your Dog?
Dogs typically need somewhere between half an hour and two hours of exercise per day.
Most owners do not have the time or energy to commit this type of time.
However, with the assistance of a remote control/electronic dog toy, you can enable your dog to exercise from the comfort of your home, or in some cases fully automatically while completing other tasks.
Remote control dog toys are a great way to spice up playtime for your dog so they can get the exercise they require daily.
A dog that is not exercised properly can not only start to gain weight but become restless and or violent in the house. So, it’s essential to exercise your dog!
What To Be Aware Of When Buying A Remote Control Dog Toy
These toys are electronic, so they may short out or not work in bad conditions.
Consult the instructions of the manual or instructions of your specific purchase to learn what it can and can’t handle in terms of conditions.
These toys are a really fun and engaging way to get your dog moving!
These toys can reduce separation anxiety for both you and your pets through the ability to speak to them or view them through a camera.
Whether or not you can leave your dog alone with any of these products you should read about on a product-by-product basis.
However, generally with remote control dog toys you should ALWAYS supervise your dog’s playtime.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there typically a subscription fee for more advanced systems?
No, most systems are a one time purchase.
Can these systems take care of my pets?
In general, there are products that can dispense water or food for your dogs, but you should not leave your dog home alone for any extended period of time.
The toys we focus on in this article are great ways to get fun exercise for your dog, but you should still be present and supervise them during playtime.
Are these devices compatible with my home network?
Most are not, but a few high-end devices can be connected to a smart network.
4 Best Remote Control Dog Toys In 2020
VARRAM Pet Fitness Robot
- STAY INTERACTIVE WITH TREAT REWARDING AND FUN ACTIVITIES: Take care of your pet like pro even when you are away. Our smart robot plays with your pet by zooming around the house and rewards their interaction by dispensing treats automatically. Enjoy our 16 different play modes to keep your pets busy. This eliminates the stress, loneliness, separation anxiety, and sadness that your pets feel when you are gone by helping to decrease accidents and messes while promoting healthy activity.
- IMPROVE PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH: Physical activities for your pet is essential to keep their mind and body strong and healthy. With our robot, you are able to monitor and track your pets’ daily activities. For overweight dogs or cat, daily exercise is necessary because it decreases their risk of developing obesity and arthritis. When your pet is healthy, they are not only happier, but it also means fewer visits to the vet, saving your time and money and enjoying a longer lifespan.
- Durable Design: Our pet fitness robot is durable and built to last. It is made of poly-carbonate material and easy to clean. Our robot has also passed IPX4 water resistance test, holding up to tough chewers and staying waterproof. Also it is able to drive over a variety of indoor surfaces allowing your pet to enjoy the toy in different environments.
Last update on 2024-01-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Although this remote control dog toy does have an amazing automatic mode, it also has a super fun manual driving mode that allows you to insert yourself into your dog’s exercise!
Simply download their app and connect via Bluetooth and you are off to the races!
The robot can move in several directions, play lots of noises to get your dog’s attention, and even toss treats to reward them after a fun session!
And when you are done driving the toy, just set it back to automatic mode and your dog can keep going.
The automatic mode has several features that make it optimal for most dog owners.
First off, the automatic mode has obstacle avoidance so it knows when it is on course to collide with something.
You can use their app to set up scheduled playtime so the robot can automatically activate and engage your dog.
And the last thing I’ll say about the movement of this remote control dog toy is that it has 16 different preset movements built-in so your dog doesn’t get bored of the chase.
As far as its physical features, this robot has been tested and is waterproof. As well as being durable, it comes with a protective case that enhances its durability and prevents some damage to the actual robot itself.
- Able to function without direct human control.
- Exercises your pet, which is good for their health.
- User friendly app.
- Resistant to wear and tear.
- Could become repetitive.
Wicked Bone Smart Bone
- Automatic & Intelligent: Choose between interactive auto-play modes or control the puppy toy by using joystick in drive mode via the app. It can automatically adjust how it reacts based on different actions of your dog!
- Auto Play Mode: Programmed to attract your dog’s attention and does not require manual operation! By built-in 12 types of emotional driven systems, Wicked bone acts responsively to different types of touch, such as chasing, teasing, avoiding, etc.
- Drive Mode: Control the dog toy through the Wicked bone available for iOS and Android), and move it with its virtual joystick, choosing between the puppy toy's 9 Available motions, and you’ll soon create and discover new action combos as it runs!
Last update on 2024-01-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Similar to the last remote control dog toy, this toy has a manual mode and an automatic mode so you aren’t always reliant on driving it yourself!
Using their app, you can move the virtual joystick through your phone and watch your dog chase this around the house.
You can also choose from 9 preset motions for when you want to really entice your dog with something they haven’t seen before.
The range is also very impressive as the Bluetooth connection range is up to 30 feet, plenty of distance for a good-sized chase inside the house.
However, for the best connection, it is recommended that you stay within 10 feet of the toy during manual mode playtime.
The automatic mode is very cool as well! It actually reacts to emotions from your dog which makes playtime much more interesting.
In fact, there are actually 12 different emotions built-in to this product already!
- Many different modes
- Works autonomously and manually
- Variety in colors and sizes
- Some dogs may be scared a first, and will require warming up to this toy.
SKYMEE Owl Robot
This toy might be my favorite on this list because it has several features no other toy on this list does.
First, it comes with a built-in camera that can stream 1080p full HD video straight to your phone! This way you are able to see what your dog is up to from your phone.
This camera also features 4X zoom if you just want to check on them, without them seeing. And there is even a night vision mode for the camera that allows you to see your dog in the dark!
For the manual remote control dog toy mode, you can simply use wifi! Better yet you can access your pet robot from wherever you are through their app.
There is even a treat dispenser so you can reward your dog when playtime has concluded.
Lastly, there is the automatic mode that engages your dog when you aren’t able to.
During automatic mode this robot toy will react to your dogs touch and behavior which makes for a really good time!
- 1080p Full HD Camera Stream
- Wifi Connectivity And AP Connectivity When On The Go
- Treat Dispenser
- Reaction Based On Pet Behavior In Automatic Mode
- Only Supports 2.4Ghz WIFI Connection
Swift Paws: Remote Control Capture The Flag For Dogs
This product is versatile and able to be changed from play session to play session. The product works like this: A number of pulleys are attached to the ground.
They use a motor to pull a string between them, and you attach something for your dog to chase (A white flag comes with the product) to the string.
You can set up the pulleys in any shape, and additional pulleys are available for purchase.
The remote control lets you control the speed and direction of the object from wherever you are. It’s powered by batteries and quick and easy to set up anywhere.
The basic package comes with 1 main motor and 3 additional pulleys, with more available for purchase.
- Quick setup
- Adaptable structure
- Usable anywhere
- May not be best for all types of dogs.
5 Best Automatic Dog Toys With No Remote Control
iFetch Interactive Ball Launcher For Dogs
- Interactive, on demand ball launcher that lets dogs play fetch to their hearts' content
- Runs on a built-in, rechargeable battery
- Comes with three 3 non-abrasive, pet-safe tennis balls
Last update on 2024-02-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This toy is an automatic tennis ball launcher that lets dogs play fetch for as long as they would like!
There are small and large variations depending on how big your dog is and how big you need the tennis balls to be.
This teaches dogs valuable skills like how to initiate playtime on their own, and how to run and fetch better than ever before. Owner supervision is recommended, however.
Adjustable power for use either inside or outside at distances between 10 and 30 feet.
It comes with storage to contain extra balls. Has a one year all money back guarantee warranty. This is powered either by a power cord or 6 C batteries.
- Easy to use
- Gives pets exercise
- Has some variability
- Two variations for different sized dogs
Sikoon Wicked Ball
- 100% Automatic & Interactive：Designed to entertain your pets automatically, even when we are away, with three reaction Modes and Intelligent Companion system, No App required
- Water-Proof: IPX67 standard,This allows you and your pets to have just as much fun with Wicked Ball in the water as on land
- Safe, But Not for Aggressive Chewers: With the protection mechanism, when you open Wicked Ball’s outer shell it will stop running immediately. Making it safe and secure for both you and your pet. Please note that the toy is better for cats, not for dog chewers
Last update on 2024-01-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This is built and designed around interacting automatically with your dog. It has 3 built-in reaction modes and an intelligent companion system.
This ball is completely waterproof and is durable, however, this is not for chewing. If your dog does chew this toy too much they could break it or make lots of tooth marks.
This ball is also built with easy cleaning in mind. A 1-year warranty comes provided.
- 1-year warranty
- May break under extreme pressure
- Does not have a companion app
- Some Say It Does Not Work Great On Carpet Floors
HYPER PET- Interactive Plush Toy
- PLUSH SQUEAKY DOG TOY THAT WIGGLES, VIBRATES, & BARKS – Entice your dog to run, chase, play, and exercise. This interactive dog toy encourages fun stimulation for dogs of all ages. Fun dog toys for small dogs, dog toys for medium dogs, and large dog toys.
- REDUCE ANXIETY AND BOREDOM – With funny sounds and erratic movements, these funny dog toys & plush dog toy will capture your puppy or adult dog’s interest and keep them engaged with its interactive dog toy movements. The wobble and wiggle will keep them busy.
- TIPS TO ACTIVATE: Pull out tab and give hard shake. If toy does not turn on, feel around for ON/OFF switch located underneath cover, hold button for 2 seconds, and give hard shake. The ball will activate, vibrating and making noise for approximately 10 seconds. Once this stops, the ball will reactive when rolled, thown, or played with. When playtime is over, simply press button down to turn dog ball off and preserve battery life. PLEASE SEE VIDEOS FOR HELP.
Last update on 2024-02-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This is a plush squeaky toy that wiggles, vibrates, and barks, encouraging your dog to play!
This toy is perfect for dogs in all stages of life. It is able to keep them both mentally and physically active throughout the day to reduce stress.
Powered by 3 triple A batteries, this toy is perfect for long playtimes. The toy is activated by a button on the top and continues to work as long as it is in motion.
In addition, many additional covers are available for purchase.
- Long battery life
- Can be used independently after turned on
- May be susceptible to damage during play
- Could become repetitive
Pet Droid Interactive Dog Toy
- 【Two modes available】Irregular Running Mode :Press and hold the button for 3 seconds, it will automatically move and rotate; Crazy Bouncing Mode: Press and hold the button for 3 seconds,then quickly press the button again, it will bounce automatically. Built-in multi-colors flash lights inside the ball, it can attract more attention and brings more joy to your dogs
- 【Suitable for multiple sites】Irregular running mode don’t work with the tennis cover,for hard floors only,and not for chewers. The tennis cover could only work under crazy bouncing mode，special for slight chewers,better work on thin carpet or a lawn outdoor for lower noise
- 【Motion activated toy】Built-in motion sensor,when your dog touchs or bites it,it will automatically move,rotate or bounce for 10 seconds,then the colorful LED light will continue to flash for 4 seconds and go to standby
Last update on 2024-02-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This is an automated moving ball for your dog to follow around. It runs on a rechargeable battery which can last as long as a full day of use.
However, this is built for hardwood floors only, not carpet or outdoors. This ball has two different modes. Rolling with a little bouncing, and “Crazy ball mode” with a lot of bouncing.
A feather attached to it attracts pets to exercise. This contributes to their overall health.
- Exercises pets
- Works without supervision
- Works on hard floors only, not outside or thick carpets.
Pet Qwerks Blinky Babble Ball
- Interactive Dog Toy: The Blinky Babble Ball is motion activated, flashes and makes sounds; A great self amusement toy for all dogs and ideal for pets that are blind or have poor vision; Large size for dogs over 25 pounds
- Keep Them Busy: As your pet breathes on it or walks past it, the bright light starts blinking and playful banter ensues, demanding playtime by enticing your dog; Each ball makes 18 different sounds
- Healthy Chew Outlet: The Babble Ball helps dogs satisfy their natural instinct to chew and helps reduce anxiety and prevent boredom by encouraging them to actively play; when your dog is done playing, it will turn itself off
Last update on 2024-02-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
A light-up bouncy ball for your dog, this product has many different lights and sounds in its reservoir to keep your dog entertained!
This toy is great for special needs pets! (Including poor eyesight, hearing, or separation anxiety.)
This toy has a proven long battery life-sustaining up to 15,000 phrases or light uses.
This is a toy built to help exercise your pet and entertain them. It can be used by them when you are not home and is durable enough to take any attack.
- Attracts Dog’s Attention Well
- Is motion activated
- May not be as effective in exercising depending on how it is used
So, which out of these products do I recommend? Personally I must recommend the SKYMEE Owl Robot.
For what I would want in a remote control dog toy I find that the SKYMEE Owl Robot gives me all that and more.
I find it super cool that you can take control and play with your dogs remotely through the wifi.
Not only that, but you are able to do it from another room because of the fantastic connection distance and camera that streams directly to your phone inside the app.
Lastly, for the days that you aren’t able to manually control the robot you can use the intelligent automatic mode.
A mode that will get your dog moving without you having to steer it. Better yet this toy knows how to steer itself and react to your dog’s actions.